Raspberries, currants, blueberries and strawberries conquer the sweet tooth of the house
Originally from the city of Vienna, the Apfelstrudel consists of a dough filled with apples, raisins and a touch of cinnamon. It is not a new dessert, since the first recipe is in a manuscript called Koch Puech, from the year 1969. Strudel means swirling in German referring to the disorder of ingredients that, when cut, can be seen inside.
Although the filling can be the most varied, the most popular is apples, which has to be acidic to counteract the sweetness of sugar. But there are more elaborations spread throughout the world, such as the Topfenstrudel, made with quark cheese, which is very common in Central European countries. Also in Peru a similar dessert filled with plantain is prepared, while in Argentina, the strudel is salty and, as it could not be otherwise, made of meat, raisins and covered with icing sugar.
We will mix different kinds of berries with a touch of vanilla and a creamy chantilly -name that originates from a French city where it was created- of condensed milk. Irresistible!
Red Fruit Strudel
- 10 sheets of phillo pasta
For the Filling
- 1 kg of berries (raspberries, blueberries, currants and strawberries)
- 150 g of brown sugar
- 1 lemon peel
- ½ vanilla bean
Chantilly condensed milk
- 150 ml of heavy whipping cream
- 50 ml condensed milk
- Powdered sugar
- Mint leaves
Step by step elaboration
For the Filling
- Place the sugar in a pan next to the lemon peel, the vanilla and a few drops of water.
- Caramelize and add the berries cut into small pieces.
- Leave to cook for 15 minutes until all the juice evaporates. Let it cool down.
For the Strudel
- On the table, arrange a sheet of phillo pasta and paint it with butter that we have previously melted in the microwave. On top of it, place another sheet of pasta and repaint.
- A kneading stick can help so that each layer is well adhered to the previous one. Repeat the operation until you get 6 layers.
- Place the filling in the center of the phillo pasta, cover with one half of it, paint the edges with butter and close them towards the inside.
- Finish rolling until the pasta looks as if it were a roll. Place it in a dish with baking paper.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 25 minutes.
For the chantilly
- Heat the whipping cream and condensed milk in a saucepan over low heat until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Place the hot cream in a container and preserve in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Once it’s cold, beat it with the blender until you get a creamy and consistent cream.
Finishing and Presentation
Cut the strudel and finish it with the chantilly cream, some fresh berries and some mint leaves.
“Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances” by Juan Muñoz Ramos.
A dessert with a perfect balance between the acidity of the berries and the sweet of the sugar, with the cereal note of the puff pastry.
We accompany it with a Cava Gran Reserva rosé, ripe, fruity and fresh at the same time, such as the Montesquius Gran Reserva Rosé Brut Nature, combination of aging and sweetness.
If we do it with S.Pellegrino water, we will detect perfection with a contribution of liveliness as well as balance, creaminess, life and freshness. A union of bubbles with the elegance of a sapid and tasty finish.
End this amazing meal with a Browny of Caramel and Toffee Sauce, click here to see the complete recipe.
Don’t miss this Marinated Salmon, here you can find the step by step recipe!