Step by step recipe of the traditional Greek spinach pie
Throughout the world, we can find a wide variety of cakes, both salty and sweet. Elaborations that consist of a dough, which can be puff pastry, or dough of empanadillas, and stuffed with meat, fish, vegetables, etc.
The most popular empanadas in Argentina are stuffed with beef. In Spain, however, the most traditional is the Galician empanada stuffed with tuna, cod, horse mackerel, mussels or octopus, to name a few ingredients. In Greece, the cake is baptized with the name of Spanakopita and is usually taken as an aperitif. It is made with phyllo dough, spinach, onion or chives, and a touch of chopped fresh dill, and then it is baked.
There is a version of this Greek classic called Tiropita, filled with egg and cheese. You can also find its sweet interpretation, the Bougatsa: thin slices of pasta with custard inside.
An irresistible recipe to share among friends along with a glass of rosé wine and a refreshing Acqua Panna. Enjoy your meal!
Ingredients for a tray of 26 cm
- 12 sheets of phyllo dough
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 scallions
- 1 kg of fresh spinach
- 200 g of feta cheese
- 50 g of raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of dill
- Salt and white pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Roasted Sesame
Elaboration step by step
- In a pan over medium heat, brown the garlic previously chopped. Lower the heat and add the finely chopped scallions. Add salt.
- Once well poached, until they are transparent, incorporate the spinach leaves. Add the ground white pepper and let it cook.
- In a bowl, beat the egg, add the spinach filling, the chopped dill, the chopped raisins and the crumbled feta cheese. Add salt and pepper if needed. Save it for later.
- Melt a few tablespoons of butter. Spread a sheet of phyllo pasta, paint with the butter and on this, place another paste.
- Divide the filling into six parts and spread a portion through the pasta without reaching the edges. Roll them into a fine curl and close the edges well, painting them with butter.
- Repeat the previous steps with the rest of stuffing and phyllo pasta.
- Once ready, grease a baking tray and place the spiral curls, sticking them together.
- Paint with butter, sprinkle with sesame and bake at 180 degrees (celsius) until the cake is well browned.
‘Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances’. By Juan Muñoz Ramos.
Harmonies in white and pink; a transparent white color with a fine and delicate flavor like the one provided by Acqua Panna, and next to it we break in with a medium intensity rose with salmon nuances and a fruity and fresh background; this is the Clarisa Rosé of Tempranillo Castilian.
Perfect couple that seduces at the table to accompany this dish rich in flavors and that goes from the vegetable of the spinach to the lactic of the cheese with the honeyed touch of the raisins. This is a combination that is tasty and at the same time fresh.
Autumn requires combining flavors and fragrances that will bring us sensations related to colors, but all in perfect harmony.
- When you add the spinach it will look like a lot but then it gets reduced significantly.
- You can add nuts like cashews, pistachios or walnuts.
- If you like ricotta, you can use it to substitute the feta cheese.
Don’t miss this Marinated Salmon, here you can find the step by step recipe!