The exquisite Georgian bread stuffed with cheese
Popular in Georgian cuisine, the Khachapuri or Jachapuri is literally a ‘cheese bread’, since khacho means in Georgian ‘curd cheese’ and puri, ‘bread’. This essential dish in their national cuisine is made up of a dough of fermented bread stuffed with cheese, egg and a touch of butter before serving.
Although its ingredients can be reminiscent of a pizza, this bread is usually consumed during breakfast (also for lunch and dinner). In addition, there are different versions depending on the filling, which can be vegetables, such as spinach or chard, cherry tomatoes or basil leaves. There are also those who incorporate thin slices of Iberian ham or chorizo.
There are many restaurants and bakers that seek to change the flavor of Khachapuri through butter, elaborating it with citrus, curry, Provencal herbs or with a touch of turmeric.
Ingredients for two pieces
For the dough
- 300 g of «strong» flour
- 6 g of fresh baker’s yeast
- 75 g of warm water
- 75 g of milk
- ½ beaten egg
- 6 g of salt
- 3 g of sugar
- 10 g of extra virgin olive oil
For the filling
- 75 g of grated mozzarella
- 75 g of feta cheese
- ½ beaten egg
- 2 whole eggs
- 10 g of herbal butter
- Fresh parsley
Elaboration step by step
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Put the flour on the work table, making a hole in the center like a volcano.
- Pour the milk, the ½ beaten egg, the salt, the sugar, the extra virgin olive oil and the water with the yeast into the hole.
- Mix with your fingers and add, little by little, flour to the liquid ingredients. Knead for about five minutes until a thin, homogeneous and elastic mass is obtained. Then, place it in a deep bowl, cover with a clean cloth and let it stand in a warm place between one and two hours until it doubles its volume.
- Meanwhile, mix the cheeses for the filling and add the half beaten egg, reserving a pinch to spread it after the dough. Cut the butter into cubes and set it aside.
- After the time of rest of the dough, dump it on the work table, sprinkled with a little flour, and divide it into two equal parts.
- With the help of a roller, stretch each piece giving an oval shape. Divide the filling mixture between the two loaves leaving a pair of fingers free around the contour. Fold this excess dough covering part of the cheese and turn the ends of the dough to close it well so the filling doesn’t pour out in the oven.
- Brush the sides of each bread with the reserved beaten egg.
- Place them in the oven, pre-heated to 220ºC with heat from the top and bottom, and cook for 12-14 minutes or until the dough is lightly browned and the cheese melted.
- Remove the loaves from the oven and fill each one with an egg.
- Put again in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the egg is cooked (only the egg white) and the bread is golden.
- Remove from the oven and place on each pan some cubes of herb butter before serving.
‘Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances’. By Juan Muñoz Ramos.
Products of diverse origins, distant fragrances, unique flavors… The truth is that this harmony is rich and full, an expression very ours because, if we look at the origins, we start from a bite of Caucasian dish with products that remain marked in the palate and with a touch of greenery that brings acidity.
A place like Georgia marks the origins of wine at the same time. Next to the plate, a wine from the Verdejo grape, full and fruity, tropical, unctuous and daring like this Oro de Castilla 2018. And what else? The most important element of the meal, whose union manages to entwine all foods. It’s S.Pellegrino water. We speak of a fine carbon with a fresh point and a creamy background that allows us to combine the flavors in a slow and tasty digestion. Having previously enjoyed the three elements: water-wine-dish.
- Replace the bread dough with puff pastry for an express khachapuri. It will not be the authentic recipe but it is a good alternative without a doubt.
- The cheese can be varied to taste, although it is important to choose those cheeses that melt.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley before serving to provide a touch of aroma and flavor.
End this amazing meal with a Browny of Caramel and Toffee Sauce, click here to see the complete recipe.
Don’t miss this Marinated Salmon, here you can find the step by step recipe!