A tasty variation of the classic meat recipe
One of the world’s most classic dishes, beef Wellington consists of a good piece of meat, previously browned in a pan to preserve all its juices, a mushroom duxelle (sauteed mushrooms with minced shallot) and, sometimes, duck foie gras, depending on the recipe. Then, everything is wrapped in a sheet of puff pastry and baked in the oven so that the meat is perfectly cooked and the puff pastry becomes crispy.
It is an invention of the British military man Arthur Wellesley, the first Duke of Wellington, who liked the dish so much, hence the name. It can be made with meat or fish, which is why you can find this recipe made with lamb, pork loin, or salmon.
This fish is stuffed with sauteed spinach with a creamy bechamel sauce prepared over low heat. Don’t forget to add a touch of nutmeg, which yields delicious results.
Turn on the oven and uncork a bottle of white wine next to a S.Pellegrino to enjoy a recipe you will never forget.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 400 g salmon loin
- 200 g frozen cut spinach
- 25 g butter
- 35 g wheat flour
- 250 ml of milk
- 1 egg
- Ground black pepper
Step by step preparation
- Heat the butter in a pan and brown the flour. Add spinach, previously defrosted, well-drained, and chopped. Stir until obtaining an even consistency.
- Add the milk, little by little, and stir continuously so that it is incorporated into the spinach and flour mixture. Cook for 15 minutes over low heat. Adjust salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste before removing from heat and letting cool.
- Remove the skin from the salmon and, if necessary, the bones. Cut in half, turn one of the halves 90º, and place next to the other to form a rectangle. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the puff pastry in half and, from one of the halves, cut a strip of approximately one centimeter.
- Place the smaller piece of puff pastry on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and, on top of it, the salmon and spinach cream. Brush the borders of the puff pastry with beaten egg and place the other half of puff pastry on top. Press the edges to seal and trim to match.
- Brush the entire surface with beaten egg and decorate with puff pastry leaves (made from the reserved strip of dough) and brush again with egg.
- Make a hole in the center of the dough.
- Cook the puff pastry in the oven (preheated to 210ºC) for about 25 minutes.
‘Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances’ by Juan Muñoz Ramos.
A new year in which we continue to discover new scents that lead us to new flavors, although sometimes already known but forgotten, which is not uncommon, as we often have trouble remembering fragrances.
Well, in this new year we are going to discover a wonderful pair, referring to Oliver Conto’s perfectly elaborated white wine from Empordá (Ampurdán). With grapes like Macabeo, Sauvignon blanc, Muscat and white Garnacha, it’s a wine in which flavor, fruit, and the freshness of the Tramontana come together.
At its side we have S.Pellegrino, the most internationally awarded water thanks to its image and quality, served at the best tables and regarded by kitchen and dining room professionals as a great culinary complement.
Alcohol-free: Essenza Lemon and lemon peel
This would be our proposal, though drinking only the S.Pellegrino water would also suffice. Let us not forget that its fine bubbles, with the perfect amount of acidity, distinguishing it from other waters, contrasts perfectly with the salmon. But we want to go a little further and combine dishes with natural and high quality refreshing drinks, which is exactly the case with Essenza Limón. It perfectly accompanies this salmon and its acidity will be ideal to counteract both the natural fat of the fish and the cream. New forms, new horizons.
- If the surface of the puff pastry browns too quickly before the end of the baking time, cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the baking sheet on the bottom rack so that the heat reaches more directly below and the base of the puff pastry is well done.
- Spinach can be upgraded with a handful of raisins or replaced with chard leaves.
Make it a perfect meal with our Wellington Turkey, here you can find the step by step recipe.
End this amazing meal with a Browny of Caramel and Toffee Sauce, click here to see the complete recipe.