Rich and healthy Hawaiian cuisine
Originally from Hawaiian cuisine, poke is a raw fish salad, which is served as an appetizer, but also as a main dish due to its nutritious ingredients.
Although it became popular in the 70s, this dish was already consumed regularly on this island, but something changed. The fish was incorporated with bones and skin, while nowadays it is common to find the poke with tuna, octopus or salmon.
This preparation is done to regain strength and, above all, to be healthy and quick to prepare. In addition to fish, it carries algae, avocados, chives, cucumber or edamame, which are a soybean pod originally from China. It ends with a dressing of soy and sesame and fruit.
Normally, the poke, whose name refers to the cross-section and chunks of the fish, is served accompanied by rice and is finished with different nuts (peanuts, almonds, sesame).
Ingredients for 4 portions
- 200 g fresh red tuna
- 125 g of cooked basmati rice
- 75 g cooked wild rice
- 1 carrot
- 1 piece of red cabbage
- 40 g canned cooked corn
- 40 g of edamame
- 3 radishes
- 30 g raw whole almonds
- 1 lime
- Fresh ginger
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Assorted sesame seeds
Step by step elaboration
- Mix in a large bowl sesame oil and soy sauce with fresh ginger and garlic, both finely grated. Add the lime zest and a teaspoon of sesame seeds. Stir well until it’s all even.
- Cut the tuna into cubes and place in the previous container. Stir so that all pieces are impregnated with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge. Let marinate for a minimum of four hours.
- Meanwhile, cook the two types of rice separately and following the makers’ instructions. Basmati rice needs a few minutes to be ready, but wild rice requires longer cooking.
- Drain the rice and let it cool completely before mixing.
- Toast the almonds in a pan without oil, over medium heat, stirring occasionally so they do not burn. Remove as soon as they begin to get brown and save for later.
- Prepare all the vegetables a few minutes before the moment of consumption. Wash, peel and cut the carrot in strings. Wash and cut the red cabbage in strings. Wash and split the radishes and wash the corn and drain well.
- Divide the rice into four individual bowls and place the rest of the ingredients on top: marinated tuna, vegetables and roasted almonds.
- Add a little more sesame oil and a splash of lime juice to the marinade broth. Pour over the poke bowls and serve immediately.
‘Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances’ by Juan Muñoz Ramos.
The bubbles, in this case, are provided by this Cava Privat Rosé Brut Nature. Look what components this Mediterranean and healthy dish has: rice, marinated tuna, vegetables and nuts and, of course, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and, if available, then a drizzle of wine vinegar.
But we have to continue marking the nature of the flavor and choose Acqua Panna… natural, fine, delicate, healthy … This is the idea of this harmony whose subtle fragrances are marked by nature and its flavors, perfectly combined, that offer us a harmony as if it were Classical Greece. In this case we talk about the sea that unites us from side to side, where culture is also part of the table.
- This recipe can be customized using other fish (salmon is a good alternative) and varying vegetables and nuts to taste.
- You can also ‘veganize’ it by replacing fish with tofu.
- Cut the tuna in the direction of its fiber to obtain an optimal texture in the mouth. If you don’t like raw tuna, mark it in a hot pan before dicing.
Make it a perfect meal with our Wellington Turkey, here you can find the step by step recipe.
End this amazing meal with a Browny of Caramel and Toffee Sauce, click here to see the complete recipe.