Eggplants and Zucchini, both indispensable in the Mediterranean diet, surprise us when paired together, resulting in exotic and very appetizing dishes.
The “Tarte Tatin”, eggplants and zucchini are three elements with a great rooting in the Mediterranean gastronomy. This cake was created by the Tatin sisters, back in 1889 in France, when they were preparing an apple pie and realized that the fruit had been overcooked, so they placed the apples in a mold and covered it with a thin dough which they then baked. Finally, and after it cooled down, they turned it around leaving what is known today as an apple tatin. A recipe that happened by accident.
Far away from the Gallic country is where eggplant has its origin, specifically in India and Burma. It is a close relative of the potato, the pepper and the tomato, and has a prominent presence in the pantries of Greece, Turkey, Italy and the Lebanon. It is part of such traditional elaborations as the “escalibada, ratatouille, muossaka, baba ganush or melanzane alla parmigiana”. Also a great success pickled and fried (very typical in Málaga, Spain with cane honey).
The zucchini is the brother of the pumpkin and comes in various colors: green, yellow or white. Among its recipes: salads, fresh pasta, rolls, lasagne, chips, steamed, stuffed with meat or fish, in tempura, or in elaborations marked in history as the “Murcian zarangollo” (scrambled eggs, with zucchini and onions). Interesting too is the fact that its flowers are also eaten, stuffed with goat cheese, mozzarella, meat … previously battered and fried, remaining crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Typical of the Italian gastronomy.
How to Make a Vegetables and Honey Tarte Tatin
Ingredients for 4 people
- 1 small purple eggplant
- 1 small white eggplant
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 sheet of butter puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
In addition to
- Feta cheese
- Herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Flake salt
Step by step elaboration
- While preheating the oven to 180 degrees (celsius), cut the eggplants and zucchini into thin slices and sauté them in a pan with extra virgin olive oil until they turn golden.
- In a round mold, grease the base with olive oil and some honey. On top of this, put the sheets of eggplant and zucchini previously salted. On top of the vegetables, spread the puff pastry (try to keep the edges of the dough inside). Drill the dough with the help of a fork.
- Finally, bake the tarte tatin for about 30 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, take it out of the oven and with the help of a knife, scrape the edges, this way you will avoid them sticking when turning it around with a plate.
- Finish the tatin with crumbled feta cheese, aromatic herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
«Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances» by Juan Muñoz Ramos
«The taste and smell of the baked vegetables, marked by the warmth of the honey and the fresh and fragrant note of the herbs»
First it is ideal to start a meal by cooling the mouth with a fine and delicate water such as Acqua Panna, then the S.Pellegrino water with a thin, creamy bubble, and a perfectly balanced Ph, which thanks to its citrus finish can be combined with the white wine “Riesling del Somontano”, fruity and fleshy.
The union of water and wine praises a dish that we could call simple, resulting in an explosion of flavors and fragrances. Cheers!
- You can use other vegetables such as asparagus, tomatoes, peppers…
- Also, you can serve the vegetable tatin along with a yogurt cream with a touch of lemon.
Make it a perfect meal with our Wellington Turkey, here you can find the step by step recipe.
End this amazing meal with a Browny of Caramel and Toffee Sauce, click here to see the complete recipe.