A healthy version for fans of this French recipe
It is one of the most popular recipes in the world. Crepes, which can be salty or sweet depending on whether or not they are made with sugar, are thin slices made with egg, flour and milk. They are made on a pan in a few minutes, just need to turn them around.
In the sweet version of this recipe, originally from French Brittany, there are those who incorporate vanilla essence, citrus zest, liquors such as rum or brandy, chocolate chips, etc. The salted crepes elaborations allow you to prepare from exquisite stuffed cannelloni (do not miss these with boletus and leeks), to lasagna or a “torta de embutidos”, typical of Argentina, with tomato, lettuce, cheese, different cold cuts and a touch of mayonnaise sauce.
We can also find healthy versions, which incorporate spinach in the recipe to achieve healthy colorful crepes. You choose the filling, but this time we suggest vegetables with a touch of feta cheese.
Ingredients for 4 crepes
For the crepes
- 275 ml of milk
- 80 g fresh spinach
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
- 20 g melted butter
- 140 g whole wheat flour
For the filling of 4 crepes
- 20 g of fresh baby spinach
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 mushrooms
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1/2 onion
- 25 g feta cheese
- Ground black pepper
- Various seeds (optional)
Step by step elaboration
- Crush the spinach with the milk in a blender until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Add the egg, ground ginger, a pinch of salt, melted butter and flour. Crush again at high power until there are no lumps in the dough.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge for an hour so it gains body.
- Heat a pancake maker over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour a dough ladle in the center and quickly spread throughout the base.
- When the edges begin to peel off the base of the pancake maker, carefully lift and turn to cook on the other side.
- Move the crepe to a clean plate and continue making crepes with the rest of the dough until it’s finished.
- For the filling, wash and dry the spinach leaves well. Cut the tomatoes and zucchini into discs, the onion in julienne and the mushrooms in slices.
- Fill the crepes with the vegetables, seasoned to taste, and with the crumbled feta cheese.
- To add a crispy touch, sprinkle with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds or any other of your taste.
‘Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances’. By Juan Muñoz Ramos.
Acqua Panna and Blanco Allende, an ideal couple for enjoyment and quality, a symbiosis that covers us with fragrances for a real balance with a friendly and tasty finish.
Cheese, raisins and fruit chutney combine in a harmony sometimes difficult to counteract spinach, that is why we look for a subtle, fine and very balanced water, perfect companion of flavors and charming wines, such as it is this white wine, where creaminess embraces acidity, maintains the fruit and allows warm sensations that bring balance to the plate.
Water, wine, crepes… a trilogy where we seek and demand quality and charm in order to obtain positive sensations, those offered by our cuisine, our Acqua Panna and our wines.
- Crepes can be filled to taste, either with other vegetables or incorporating hard boiled egg, mayonnaise sauce or other ingredients.
- For those who are not fans of raw onion, sauté them for a few minutes in a pan with a little oil. You can also mark zucchini and mushrooms on a pan.
- The intense green color of the crepes is lost when the dough is cooked, so it should be turned around as soon as the surface is curdled.
- Getting thin crepes is simple, you just have to help yourself with a spatula, scraper or any other long and smooth utensil to spread the dough through the pancake maker quickly.
- Since the dough has butter incorporated, it is not necessary to grease the pancake maker.
- With this amount of dough you can make about 14 or 15 crepes. If not all of them are consumed at the moment, they can be frozen well wrapped in plastic wrap.
End this amazing meal with a Red Apple Crumble, click here to see the complete recipe.