A healthy recipe with a unique touch
Mainly used as a condiment for stews, curry refers to a mixture of spices. Depending on each region, it is a combination of aromas and flavors that varies and include aji pepper, basil, nutmeg, different types of pepper, mustard seeds, cardamom or caraway, or a little bit of anis seed, among others spices.
If we take a stroll through the markets of India and Pakistan, we can find numerous stands where curry plays a fundamental role. Its color depends on how spicy it is and can vary from yellow to green, which is spicier, or even red.
These spices can be used both in meat-based dishes and vegitarian creations, giving vegetables a unique touch. Perhaps the most interesting element of curry is that its flavor varies depending on the mixture.
Try to buy curry at traditional markets. Each spice vendor will have his or her different recipe. Be sure to use a good coconut milk, and when you’re preparing it, you can even add bits of tropical fruit like mango, papaya, or pineapple. This touch of sweetness combines well with the spicy flavors of curry.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste (60g)
- 400 ml coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 broccoli
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- Spinach leaves
- Coconut oil
- Greek yogurt
- Basil and cilantro
- Basmati rice
- Pita or naan bread
- Peel and cut the onion into wedges. Peel and cut the carrot into strips. Repeat the process with the red and green pepper.
- Remove the broccoli and cauliflower stems and cut into small florets.
- In a pan, heat coconut oil and add finely diced garlic. Once it begins to acquire a little bit of color, add the grated ginger and curry paste. Lightly toast the curry to take full advantage of its aromas.
- Add the cocount milk, stir well, and add the vegetables so that they cook in the coconut and curry sauce.
- Let cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat until the vegetables are cooked. We’re looking for crunchy and delicious vegetables, they shouldn’t be soft.
- Remove from heat and serve with cilantro, basil, and sliced almonds. Add a touch of salt if necessary.
- Finish with a dollop of natural Greek yogurt and some pieces of fruit. If desired, you can serve with rice.
‘Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances’. By Juan Muñoz Ramos.
A vegetarian curry, a natural mineral water like Acqua Panna, and a vegan wine, the perfect triad for an autumn day when the sun is softer and the colors begin to change to yellows, beiges, and rust. This would be a beautiful addition to a fall day, but the important thing is how we confront it, and in this case, in accordance with the leading international trends, we are going to eat and drink healthier every day, without forgetting our diet, our roots, and the dishes of our mothers and grandmothers.
This vegetarian curry surprises both for its color and its aromas and flavors, that combine the East and the West. At its side, as I said, a delicate water, but also delicious, Acqua Panna, a natural mineral water with a perfect balance that combines the perfection of a special and limited production wine. Its name is well-known, Viña Esmeralda, but in this case, it is more friendly, subtle, and fragrant with aromas that remind us of a somewhat exotic nature.
A perfect union that goes beyond the traditional to the innovative, combining water-wine-dish, but in a unique way. In this case, following nature and a healthy diet, but at the same time ensuring that it is delicious and flavorful, two concepts in perfect harmony.
So let’s be happy and enjoy what the earth gives us.
- If you don’t have coconut oil you can use peanut oil or extra virgin olive oil.
- You can use whichever vegetables you’d like, but be sure not to overcook them.
- If you choose to add zuchinni, do so at the end of the process so that it doesn’t overcook.
End this amazing meal with a Browny of Caramel and Toffee Sauce, click here to see the complete recipe.
Don’t miss this Marinated Salmon, here you can find the step by step recipe!