A popular cake to sweeten your snacks
The cheesecake has become one of the most demanded desserts in restaurants around the world along with the carrot cake or the chocolate coulant. Here you can see these recipes.
The New York Cheesecake is the most famous cheesecake, a preparation that has cream cheese as its main ingredient, as well as sugar, cream and eggs, and it is finished in the oven. In Spain, one of the most popular cheesecakes is that of the ‘La Viña’ restaurant in San Sebastián, winner of numerous awards. If you want to prepare it, here is the recipe.
Another way to prepare the cheesecake is without an oven. Its ingredients are similar with the difference that it contains gelatin or curd to thicken the cheese mousse. Although Philadelphia-type cream cheese is often used, it can also be made with mascarpone, cottage cheese, or quark.
The first record of this dessert dates back to Ancient Greece, although it was the Roman Marco Porcio Cato, also called Cato the Elder, who wrote this recipe to make religious offerings. In his book ‘De Re Rustica’ it is observed that the elaboration is very similar to the current one.
Add a sweet touch to your snacks in harmony with a refreshing S.Pellegrino sparkling water.
Ingredients for a 24 centimeter mold
For the base
- 250g Oreo cookies
- 100 g unsalted butter
- For the cheesecake
- 500 g cream cheese
- 170 g icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 250 ml of liquid cream to whip
- 40 ml milk
- 12 g of gelatin
- Whipped cream
- Cherries with wine
- Oreo cookies
- With the help of a food processor, crush the cookies until they are well broken. Melt the butter and mix them with the cookies.
- Cover the mold with baking paper, both on the sides and at the base. Spread the cookie mixture until the base and sides are well covered. Let cool in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Take the cream cheese out of the fridge for about 10 minutes to make it softer and more manageable. Hydrate the gelatin sheets in cold water.
- Beat the cheese together with the icing sugar. Once the cheese is creamy, add the egg yolks and the vanilla essence.
- Whip the cream to achieve a slightly lighter consistency than when we eat strawberries with cream.
- Add the semi-whipped cream together with the cream cheese and mix gently with the help of a spatula.
- Heat the milk in the microwave and add the previously drained gelatin.
- Add the previous mixture to the cream and cheese and mix quickly. Add some chopped Oreo cookies.
- Take the base out of the fridge and arrange the mixture gently. Store in the fridge for 8 hours until completely set.
- Once the Oreo cheesecake is cold, finish with whipped cream, chopped cookies and some cherries in wine.
‘Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances’ by Juan Muñoz Ramos.
Oreo cookies, cream cheese, and next to it, what? … Possibly, a lot of things. In this case, many wines or many drinks at an international level that are breaking traditional schemes, such as sweet and ice ciders, meads, etc.
Well, before this volcano of flavors, which makes us salivate even when defining it, we have selected a sparkling ice cider NIEGE. You may think this is a bit weird. Yes, this almost unique cider in the world is made in Quebec (Canada) and its flavors express citrus honey enchanted with baked apple along with a bouquet of flowers. So far everything is perfect.
Next to it, a natural sparkling mineral water. And why sparkling? It must be explained that the waters can be very different and this water has a fine and creamy bubble with a citric and fresh touch that makes us perceive the flavors better, while the bubbles allow the sweet flavors to be maintained for longer on our palate and have a better digestion. We are talking about S.Pellegrino, that is what is called “pleasure bubbles”.
Well friends, you will tell me how the gastronomic experience has been combining these three products, a dish that reminds us of our childhood, a fine and tasty digestive water, and a rare and divine cider in flavors.
- If you like frozen cheesecake, you can keep it in the freezer. Top it off with hot chocolate. Irresistible!
- You can choose other types of cookies such as Maria, Lotus or Digestive.
- Do not whip the cream too much, this way the result will be creamier and lighter.
Make it a perfect meal with our Tuna Empanadas… find the step-by-step recipe here!
End this amazing meal with a Black Forest Cake, click here to see the complete recipe.