Put Mexican accent to your meals with these tacos and some pico de gallo sauce
If there is a dish that defines Mexican cuisine that is tacos. Based on a corn tortilla, although they can also be made from wheat flour, tacos are the most popular food in Mexico, hence, depending on their filling, be their name.
From the most traditional tacos al pastor, filled with marinated pork meat to carnitas, made with lard pork. Without forgetting the tacos al carbon, when the meat is cooked on the coals, or roasted meat, either chicken, pork or beef. In addition, ancestral elaborations such as cochinita, typical of Yucatan with pork cooked slowly underground with hot stones and covered by leaves, to ingredients of the most surprising as the «nopal«, a plant of the cactus family. The latter is usually accompanied with fresh cheese.
While the fried fish tacos were born in the port of the city of Ensenada, in the Mexican state of Baja California, when a fisherman began to fry different pieces of fish and served them in a corn tortilla with a spoonful of sauce.
As for the sauces, highlights the pico de gallo sauce made with tomato, white onion, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeño, if you want to give it a spicy touch. The trick of this preparation that is usually used for salads or meat, is to add salt to the tomato and leave it a few minutes to release all its juice and thus the result will be more tasty.
We will teach you step by step how to prepare some fish tacos. Turn on the music and shout, «Órale!»
Ingredients for 10 tacos
- 500 g of hake tenderloin
- 10 corn tortillas
For the batter
- 100 g of flour
- 200 g of breadcrumbs (or panko: bread crumb flakes)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of white sesame
- 1 tablespoon black sesame
- Olive oil for frying
For the sauce
- 1 ripe tomato
- ½ onion
- 1 jalapeno or spicy serrano chile
- Lime juice
- Coriander (Cilantro)
For the chive alioli
- 250 g of mayonnaise
- 1 scallions
- 1 garlic clove
- Lemon juice
- Lettuce or lettuce buds
- Purple Onion
Step by step elaboration
For the batter
- Season the fish strips and pass them through flour. Then dip them in beaten egg and once well drained, coat them with the mixture of bread and black and white sesame seeds.
- Heat the oil and fry the fish until it is golden-brown. Remove it and let it drain on kitchen paper.
For the pico de gallo sauce
- Chop the tomato in small cubes and salt it to release all its water. Let it stand for 30 minutes. Then add the rest of finely chopped ingredients.
For chive alioli
- Finely chop the chives and garlic. Mix everything with mayonnaise and lemon juice.
Finishing and Presentation
- In a pan over medium heat, place the tortillas for 10 seconds on each side. Repeat the operation several times until they are very hot.
- Put a spoon of alioli, a lettuce leaf, the crunchy fish and finish with the pico de gallo sauce, a thin julienne of onion, chopped cilantro, slices of jalapeño – if you like spicy – and a drizzle of lime juice. Bon Appétit!
«Harmonies in Flavors and Fragrances» by Juan Muñoz Ramos
Fried fish, sesame, cilantro and pico de gallo sauce, aromas and flavors with fragrances that have to balance providing tropical freshness and intensity.
The suggestion is a wine from the Rueda Denomination of Origin, «Camino de Magarín», a positive discovery.
And, what water should we drink? Well, thanks to its natural characteristics it can accompany the whole symphony of aromas and flavors, and this is Acqua Panna: balance, freshness, lightness, softness and respect.
If you are gluten intolerant, you can substitute wheat flour for rice flour or corn flour. Same with the bread crumbs.
The jalapeños can be bought in supermarkets where they are sold preserved in vinegar.
Make it a perfect meal with our Wellington Turkey, here you can find the step by step recipe.
End this amazing meal with a Browny of Caramel and Toffee Sauce, click here to see the complete recipe.